Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

Sally Anns are one of my favorite cookies. By their taste alone, they evoke a sense of home and comfort, reminding me of the kitchen at my grandparents' place and the simple happiness of mid-afternoon sweets. They're the only food that evokes the thought, This would be better with a cup of coffee. Making them was a good Easter activity, especially as I was stuck away from the family due to unpacking (the books are now free!) and yard work shenanigans (such as finding a dead mouse in the yard, which was lovely).


With help from my mom, I found the recipe in the family cookbook (my great-great-grandparents are on the cover, and other awesome old pictures are scattered throughout). I decided that the transgression of buying a can of Spam (just once) was worth it for the sake of the cookies. Poke holes in the bottom of the can to allow for air flow.


I didn't have enough butter for a full batch, but half of one made 18 Cookies of Unusual Size. I made the mistake of microwaving the butter a bit too long, resulting in very sticky and soft dough. Don't overdo it, people.


Sally Anns
1 c. butter, soft but NOT melted            1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. sugar                                                1/4 tsp. ginger
2 eggs                                                     1/2 tsp. cloves
3/4 c. molasses                                       1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. buttermilk or sour milk                1/4 tsp. allspice
4 c. flour                                                 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in order, one at a time. If dough is too soft to work with, refrigerate for one hour. Knead dough briefly on a floured surface if still too sticky. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness; use the Spam can to cut out cookies, lifting and dropping them onto an ungreased cookie sheet in one motion. Bake at 350 for 7 to 8 minutes. Cool on a rack before frosting.


I also spilled powdered sugar all over while making icing. (Grandma would have had a good laugh at all my mix-ups.) As I didn't have gelatin on hand, I went with plain icing, but real Sally Ann frosting is delightful. It hardens to a tasty crisp, making the cookies stack very well and keeping them moist and soft in perfect contrast.

(This is another one of those times when I will conveniently and repeatedly "forget" that gelatin is not vegetarian. The comfort is worth it.)



Sally Ann Frosting
1 pkg. unflavored gelatin      2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cold water                   1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. water

Dissolve gelatin in the cold water. Combine sugar, salt, and remaining water; boil five minutes, covered. Remove cover and boil until it spins a thread. Remove from heat and pour over gelatin mixture. Beat until the mixture holds peaks (this may take some time). Use immediately. (This makes nice Christmas cookie frosting, too.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science