One Crust to Rule Them All

I have a new favorite pizza crust recipe. My old favorite recipe was very biscuit-like, with lots of crunch on the outside and soft poof on the interior. Its main problems were in being so crunchy and falling prey to pizza's Enemy Number One: sogginess.

Sog does not a good pizza make.

Going through my recipes one day, I ran across some recipe sheets meant to be kept in a three-ring binder that were floating free. I think they were random junk mail I received several years ago, and I kept some that looked decent. One was for a yeast-based pizza crust.

Before this new recipe, the only other yeast crust I'd tried took forever. It's yeast, after all, and requires time to rise. I was under the impression that all recipes were that obnoxious, but apparently I was wrong. This crust is just as easy as the biscuit crust, but with a delicious bread-y quality: it rises well, is soft all around, and does a marvelous job of not getting uber-soaked in the sauce.


Amazing Pizza Crust
1 1/2 c. white flour
1 c. wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) dry yeast
1 c. water, lukewarm(ish)
1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. olive oil

Mix together flours, salt, and yeast. Make a well in the mixture and add all of the oil and the water (I find the crust turns out better if the water is a bit warmer than lukewarm). Mix till you have a dough. Knead it gently (with extra flour, if needed) and press into a greased pan - either a 12-inch pizza pan or a 12x9 cookie sheet. Cover and allow to rise for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Bake the crust for 5 to 7 minutes. Add whatever toppings you'd like - the picture above features an olive and garlic pizza sprinkled with Italian seasoning. I like to sprinkle it with whatever pre-shredded six-cheese mix is on sale. Bake another 15 to 20 minutes or until perfectly golden. Slice and nom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

Brain Fart.