The Sweater That the Universe Denied, Part III



Part I
Part II


Dear The Universe

Something somewhat miraculous happened this weekend, and I give you absolutely no credit for it: I started working on The Sweater That the Universe Denied (henceforth referred to as the STUD) again, for the first time in two and a half years. I'll probably be able to finish the knitting within the week.

I am earnestly cringing in anticipation of my smiting.

Each time I've worked on the STUD before, I've been thwarted by you, The Almighty Universe. I have a healthy respect for your mysterious thwarting ways - you've been nothing if not creative in your attempts to needle-block me. Therefore, I am wholly vigilant this time around.

Of course, there is still the problem of the six-foot sleeves. (You remember those, right? The ones I spent countless extra hours of my life knitting because gauge was/is my evil enemy?) But I have a supposedly simple solution: first, finish the knitting at hand. Then, watch a dozen tutorials and read a dozen articles on how to cut a steek (as it's called), practice on two or three dozen swatches, and then ... snip snip.

Dear The Universe, please shut your pie hole and allow me this tiny victory.

You have no idea how much it would boost my knitting confidence to be able to say that I've finished the STUD - even if it does turn out to be completely crap-tastical. Perhaps I can then make a sweater that requires multiple pieces, or find my strength to finish that pair of socks I started a while ago.

I'd love to make myself more wearable items than just shawls. Above all, I'm dreaming of making myself something like this someday ...


Minus the creepy vintage dude in it. Please minus him.

Sincerely,
Hoping to avoid a potential smiting,
Allison

Comments

  1. Let me know what you think of steeking; I've never tried it myself. You can do it! *waves pompoms*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science