Inspirational Art: The Peace of Solitude

All of these pieces I love are by famous artists, but they're some of the less celebrated works - and that's part of why I like them.


For example, Van Gogh's best known piece is probably Starry Night. But I like The Cafe better, for many reasons. It gives me the feeling of being peacefully alone in a public place. In high school, I often went to Perkins late at night for a cup of tea and a muffin, and I would sit in a corner and write till the place closed. This painting brings that feeling to mind - there's some minor bustle around you, the night is gently magic, and you're content to watch the world rush by in all its glory.

I also love the solitude in this piece by Salvador Dali.


Better known as That Mustachioed Guy Who Melted Clocks, Dali didn't need bright colors all the time to make a strong statement. Follow the link above for some interpretations of his work if you like. Personally, I love the idea of the flower-head: the rest of her body is solid and grounded, but her head is elsewhere, lighter, maybe even dreaming. I feel a sense of... dark whimsy, I guess. Note the girl with the hula hoop in the background.


This is my favorite of Picasso's Blue Period. There's a lot of sadness here - the woman with her back turned, hugging her knees - but there's comfort, too. I love finding the different colors Picasso included here: blue and black, yes, but also brown, yellow, and purple. It's a reminder that there's always more than first meets the eye.

It takes more than good words to inspire writing. It also takes beauty in every form.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science