The Absence of Spousal Unit (Warning: Sap Ahead)

For those of you who don't know, the reason I haven't had my camera these last two weeks is that it's in France. So is Spousal Unit.

He attended a nine-day bioarchaeology field school, high in the Alps, where he's been measuring, analyzing, and learning about a large set of skeletons. The program was small and intense, lasting from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day. That's not to mention the late nights he's had, where he didn't get back until three in the morning. I encouraged him in that - not that he needed my prodding. When you're in any foreign country for a limited time, the tendency is to live it up.

I've definitely enjoyed bits of the last couple of weeks. I went on a couple of outings - to see my family, the art fair, and the concert-esque thing at the capitol. Last weekend, I had the house (which is not mine) all to myself, so I spent a day watching bad movies in my pajamas and finished half a box of mint chocolate chip ice cream. It was delightful.

But I've still missed Spousal Unit the entire time. "Yeah," you might say. "We get it, you're in love, whatever."

No, really, I'm freakin' in love, dudes.

When he's gone, and I wake up alone, it's like when someone grabs your arm and squeezes an old bruise. During the day, when I'm used to him interrupting my routine or rearranging it, I feel a little lost, like I don't know what to do.

This is all with being able to talk to him via Skype almost every day. Skype is my new favorite thing, despite having pretty bad video quality. (I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say it's because of the long distance.) It's still video. I still got to see and talk to him.

Tomorrow, I get to go pick him up at the airport. I am nearly bursting with excitement. I feel like a puppy whose treat is just out of reach, squirming anxiously and trying really hard to behave till it's time to be rewarded. (Yes, I just compared Spousal Unit to a dog biscuit.) For all that being apart sucks, that first moment of reunion is the sweetest thing I've ever felt, and I relish it every time.

Clearly, I can get by and even have fun without him around - I'd be fairly ridiculous if I couldn't. But having him with me is ten times more beautiful, ten times the excitement, and a hundred times more enjoyable. Why would I want anything else?

Marriage was a good idea.

Comments

  1. I agree. For myself also!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased herpes herbal medicine and received it within 7 days and used it as prescribed, I tested negative within 3 weeks use, do not loose hope to contact him early If you need help meet him on his email address dr,chalaherbalhome@gmail.com Or https://
    drchalaherbalhome.godaddysites.com ❤️❤️❤️πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸŒΏπŸŒΏπŸŒΏ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science