Nostalgia on the Brain

When I was little, I had lots of tapes full of weird, fun music. One tape I especially loved was called The Music Machine, and it taught the Fruit of the Spirit (not to be confused with Fruit of the Loom): Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Kindness, and Self-Control. Each had a song to go with it, and the one that still sticks with me is the song for Patience, about Herbert the snail.


I mentioned I'm Too Full For Broccoli by Joe Scruggs in an earlier post commemorating cassettes. My favorite was Oh By the Way, but that one hasn't been deemed fit for mass viewing (meaning it's not on YouTube). I had a tape full of Joe Scruggs songs, and I listened to it almost to the breaking point.


Some kids listened to Raffi; I was no exception. Baby Beluga was one of my favorite bedtime songs.


Remember Peter, Paul, and Mary? Puff the Magic Dragon was great, of course, but the one I still listen to over and over again is The Marvelous Toy.


I bet a lot of you still remember the hand motions for Sharon, Lois, and Brahm's Elephant Show! (Quite different from the hand motions we learned as we grew up...)


Keep an eye out on the Deviant Dispatches Facebook page this week - I'll be posting more awesome kids' music from the '80s!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science