A Letter to the Packers

Dear Green Bay Packers,

Thank you for the best wedding present anyone could ever get: your incredible Super Bowl win.

On December 26 last year, you started winning and didn't stop until you reached the ultimate goal: the Lombardi trophy. Spousal Unit and I got married on January 8, in the midst of your winning streak and the day before playoffs began. Now that's a great way to start a honeymoon.

But we didn't have a chance to watch hardly any of your games with other Packer backers. Up until this May, we were living in New Mexico, where there certainly are Packer fans (we saw your leather jackets and license plates displayed). But they're not terribly prevalent, and we missed watching with our families and friends at home, who are also green and gold at heart. And so I propose the following.

I'm guessing that, because you got us a wedding present, you plan to give us an anniversary present. I'm especially hopeful because we are back in the land of glorious cheese and attractive Super Bowl champions. Spousal Unit and I would love a chance to see you claim yet another victory - this time, surrounded by others who are Packer fans for life. Others who know that beer is its own food group during your games, others who live their weeks by what happens Sunday afternoon.

I'm asking that for our anniversary, you repeat the end of last season and win another Super Bowl for us.

(Feel free to change things up this year and take a landslide win, because you deserve it. But if I've learned anything about this team, it's that when the going gets tough, you'll work your butts off, even if others say it's impossible. You're my kinda team in every sense.)

I don't mean to be presumptuous, so here's an exchange for you: Spousal Unit and I have never actually attended a Packers game. With my job situation the way it is now, I can't promise anything, but we will do our best - on your level - to attend a home game this year. And we will eat cheese curds there and back again.

Here's to another winning season. May your opponents this year see the intimidating mass of win that you are, and may they run screaming in the other direction.

Love,
Allison

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science