Books I Bought

Sunday was my last day at the bookstore, which meant several things.

1. No more working with the occasional customer who is eager to hear about what you love to read and buys all three of your recommendations.

2. No more discount for working there.

Luckily, I took advantage of both these items while I worked the weekend. I recommended American Gods, The Illumination, and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie to the customer; I bought these for myself.



  • The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury - I've never read this, which is shameful for a scifi fan and a Bradbury fan. I'm reading this one first.
  • Der Vorleser by Bernhard Schlink (The Reader) - Trying to keep up my German skills. I've managed to get through the first few chapters without a dictionary, so they're doing okay. (Helps that I read the English version first.)
  • The Italian, or The Confession of the Black Penitants by Ann Radcliffe - I wrote my senior paper on this book and haven't owned a copy till now. I plan to reread this, just to see if I still think it's hilarious/creepy.
  • The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry, edited by Alan Kaufman - Most of my high school Forensics pieces came from this book. "Ball and Chain Record Store" by Ellyn Maybe is my favorite.
  • Cloud Tea Monkeys by Mal Peet and Graham, illustrated by Juan Wijngaard - Gorgeous illustrations, wonderful accompanying story. Very wordy, but even little kids like this one because of how engaging it is. Big kids too, of course.
  • Stormdancers by Jay Kristoff (not pictured) - I think I mentioned this before. It's a lot like Spousal Unit's RPG game, Legend of the Five Rings. Bushido, flying tigers, airships, and a tough lady with a sword. I like it already, though it's hard to read something normal right after Nabokov.
I bought more than just these books (of course), but all the others are gifts. Once they're gifted, I'll mention a couple of the awesome ones here.

In other news, my first day at the new job was yesterday - so far, so good. More on that once I have multiple days under my belt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science