Operation: Meat-Saucers

About eight months ago, before Spousal Unit and I had moved into the Batcave, my friend Stephanie had me try her vegetarian meatballs. They melted in my mouth and were incredibly meat-like - I was amazed and requested the recipe at once.

Then I promptly lost it in the move before I had a chance to make them.

Last week, while doing some cleaning, I finally came across the recipe again. Hurrah! Meatballs! (Yes, I could have asked her for the recipe again, but I kept forgetting about it. Like I do.)

My first batch turned out wonderfully except for two things. First, I skimped a little on the breadcrumbs (either that, or I added the right amount and the problem was that the eggs were the size of Texas - each). I ended up with meat-saucers instead. Tasty meat-saucers.

Which just makes me think of Space Meat.

Second, just before removing these from the oven, I turned on a burner for tea. But after I'd set these on the stove and they'd begun to cool, they started smoking and sizzling again. I was really confused until I realized I'd turned on the wrong burner.

Then I yanked the fresh-from-the-oven pan off of the burner. Without a hot pad. Ouch.

Aside from those tiny mishaps - which did not affect the taste - these were some amazing meatballs. Next time, I might add oregano and try decreasing the cheese, but that's just due to my inherent nature to mess with things.


Vegetarian Meatballs
3//4 c. walnuts
1 c. breadcrumbs
2 c. shredded cheddar (I used sharp cheddar)
1 envelope onion soup mix
4 eggs

Mix walnuts and breadcrumbs in a food processor. In a large bowl, combine mixture with remaining ingredients. Chill for half an hour.

Roll the goop into 1-inch balls and place on a sprayed cookie tray. If the goop seems too goopy, mix in a few more breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Store the meatballs in the fridge or freezer for later, or add them directly to the spaghetti sauce and cook on low for half an hour. Makes about 30-35 meatballs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science