Holiday Tunes You Don't Hear Every Day

Some people get sick of listening to the same five versions of White Christmas or Jingle Bells every holiday season - especially those who have to listen to it at work, where there is no hiding from the terrible renditions of Santa Claus is Coming to Town (which would be better if they kept the industrial rock thing going).

There are a lot of unique Christmas songs out there that I really enjoy, and in years that I've listened to the same three CDs over and over at work, I cling to any holiday tune that doesn't make me want to barf. The season just isn't the same if the music you put on for tree decorating is the same stuff you listened to twenty times that day. Which is why I present the following list of tunes that are easy on your barf reflex.

The Muppets are always a sure bet that you'll have something to laugh at instead of cry about.


Coldplay has several Christmas songs, including Christmas Lights - a song they wrote, with an awesome music video.


Maybe This Christmas is a great album for those who need something merry and bright, but are sick of the same old shining stars on the highest bough. Coldplay does a rendition of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, alongside Ben Folds and Jimmy Eat World. Oh yeah, Barenaked Ladies, too.


God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is my favorite traditional Christmas song.

I also love Sufjan Stevens' Come On! Let's Boogie to the Elf Dance! which is a much more normal song than you'd guess by the title. The chorus is, "Hear the banjo strumming, Santa Claus is coming."

And there's nothing like some jazzy Christmas tunes. Harry Connick, Jr., is always hit or miss with me, and (It Must Have Been) Ol' Santa Claus is definitely a hit.


Let me know if you've got favorite non-traditional tunes - the more I can gather every year, the better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science