Starry, Starry Knitting Bag

My sewing machine has been repaired (for the low, low price of $80, almost three times what I paid for it), and after a little practice, I've gotten it humming along quite well. I haven't sewn since early high school or so, and now that I'm back at it, it's something I've missed.

I recently brought my old sewing kit back from my mom's basement, where most of my childhood is living, and found some great sun-and-moon cloth in it that I was saving for a pillow. I realized it would make a great knitting bag, replacing the old one, which I used for about four years and is now stained and has frayed handles. But I loved the style of that old bag, so I decided to model the new after the old: reversible, with long handles. (Meaning I had no pattern to follow, just an old bag.)

It worked out pretty well.

See where the bag is shiny? It's metallic! The handle fabric was snatched
from between the pillow panels.

Inside cloth came from Stitcher's Crossing and was exactly what I was looking for (metallic again)!

My mistakes were tiny: I ran out of bobbin thread while stitching the top of the bag (the only place where the thread shows, of course), and the inside bag was about a centimeter too big to fit inside perfectly. For my first sewing project in more than 10 years, I can live with that.

Next up: a T-shirt quilt. I foresee a long and happy career for this machine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science