Welcome to That Day

...When you're required by pretty much anyone who believes in celebrating Valentine's Day to explain why you hate it even if you're in a relationship.

Believe me, I hate this holiday.

I don't hate it as much as I did when I was more cynical (although it basically just means Date Night gets moved to a different night of the week). But pre-packaged ideas of romance drive me batty. I like what I like, and there's no industry that can tell me otherwise, though they try to convince me things like this are the ideal:

(I am not responsible for this picture.)

Seriously, does anyone really look good in white? And whose whacked idea was it to have a random long piece of white netting dangling from a girl's head?


That's why I got a blue wedding dress.


That's one of many reasons I picked out (yes, picked out) a sapphire ring (just one ring, no engagement/wedding band thing).

That's why, although I understand other people's enjoyment of the holiday, I don't buy V-D crap. I could always, always ALWAYS spend that money on something better. Don't ask me to count the ways; I will go on and on and this entry will never end.

And for those of you who dislike Valentine's Day from a more cynical standpoint, check this out. It's sure to keep you feeling cynical till the Holiday Inventors of DOOM fall to their knees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science