Custom Sushi Dishes! Yay!

A few weeks ago, I went to The Vinery in Madison and took one of their classes.They do lots of glasswork, including stained glass. (One of my favorites at the shop is of a great blue heron. You can see some of their custom work here.)

The class I took involved artfully layering glass, which would then be fired and melted into the shape of a sushi dish and two sauce dishes. I think mine turned out pretty well.


I definitely like the sauce dishes better - the orange stood out more, while it falls a little dull on the black surface. Plus the designs on the white dishes are cooler. I'm also a fan of the corner striping. I wasn't expecting the interesting curve on the big dish - it rocks like a rocking horse, while most dishes I saw were bent up on each side - but it's pretty and unique.


It also holds a lot of sushi! This is three rolls' worth, and I easily could have stacked a fourth. They're filled with teriyaki eggplant and yellow and orange peppers. I made these with brown rice and worried that they wouldn't turn out as well as those with jasmine white rice, but they were tasty and held together just fine. The sauces are soy sauce and wasabi.

A decadent meal on decadent dishes. The class itself was only $50 - as if you could get custom dishes for that price anywhere else! I'm definitely going back for another class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science