A Book I Want: The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry

When I was in high school, I was part of the Forensics team. (Not the crime-solving, fingerprint-collecting kind, the drama and presentation kind.) My category was poetry, meaning whenever we had competitions, I would get up before a group of people and read my selected poetry outloud before peers and judges.

Junior year was my best in Forensics, when I read the poem "Ball and Chain Record Store" by Ellyn Maybe. In the poem, the main character ends up calling her boss a pig, wreaking havoc on the store, and waltzing out to the beat of a drum nobody's playing. I went to the state competition in Madison each year I participated, but junior year was when I received a perfect score and a gold medal - not an easy feat. But I'm sure half my success is owed to the poem I chose. (The other half goes to my coach.)

I found that poem in The American Bible of Outlaw Poetry, edited by Alan Kaufman.


A copy showed up at work the other day, and it's sent me into a fantastic nostalgia spiral: remembering all that time I spent practicing, the crazy fun with fellow Forensicators, the odd experiences on bus trips. For that reason (among others), I really want to get this book.

The Outlaw Bible features a ton of amazing poets - the book is about three inches thick, after all, so I would hope that's the case. According to various reviews (some of them snottier than others), not everything in this book is a gold mine. Some poems just aren't that great; some speak to a purpose that no one but the author could hope to ferret out. Then there's the discussion of whether anything in this book is actually "outlawed," but that's a bit nitpicky, I think. After all, poets use lots of metaphor.

But the purpose of this book, according to Kaufman, was to expose readers to things one doesn't often run across - hence the absence of Ginsberg's "Howl" and anything by Bukowski. Instead, writers like Ellyn Maybe and Patricia Smith shout their unsettled hearts out in these pages. It's a mind-opener, a non-conformist mantra, and an explosion of unrest toward all that's wrong with the world.

In other words, it's my bible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

Brain Fart.