There Goes the Sun

You may be wondering where the sunsets have gone.

Honestly, it's been several weeks since I last saw a sunset, which is why I haven't posted any pictures of them. My new work schedule has me on duty until 7 p.m., which, seeing as I asked for early shifts, makes perfect sense seeing as it's the second latest one. Nothing screws up my day more than having breakfast at 7:30 and "dinch" at 3.

So. Having to work until 7, now that it's fall, means I don't get to see the sunset anymore. And on my days off, it's been rainy and cloudy. I miss the sun, and it's not even winter yet.

Several years ago, when I lived through the Wisconsin winters on a regular basis, I often got SAD - seasonal affective disorder. It's basically weather-induced unhappiness, caused by lack of sunshine. Yes, living without sunshine can really mess you up that much. (Although, it apparently has summer effects, too.)

I've been toying around with the idea of getting a high-intensity lamp for years - they sell them especially for people with SAD, as one of the treatments is more exposure to sunlight. That can be hard to get in the winter months, as Niels Finsen surely knew as a Scandinavian. He developed the light therapy treatment for lupus! (Even though it's never lupus.) Apparently, people do a whole bunch of other therapies with light, everything from acne treatment to neonatal jaundice to wound healing... Kids, don't try that last one at home.

This morning, I thought I'd look up some of those lamps. This website features all kinds of fun SAD products - surprise, they're based in Minnesota. And surprise, I won't be getting one anytime soon, because the cheapest one is $119. For a freakin' lamp! It's $83.61 on Amazon, which, while it's better, is not actually much better.

I'm feeling happier already. I think I'll go for a walk.

No, really. I'm going for a walk. The sun just came out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Anns and a Can of Spam

The Beatles' Help! Scarf

Data in Social Science